Monday 23 August 2010

What’s that on my slipper? (One of the best yet most awkward romantic gestures!)

Banke: ‘I can’t believe he wrote on my shoe…’

Freya: ‘He wanted to find a route directly to your sole!’

a love shoe

Cockle Bay house had been having some electrical and general functional problems lately; warped doors that scrape the floor making scratching noises, scaring one into wondering what might happen if the door jammed and the handle came off in ones hands while one was still inside, electrical socket sending a shock through poor subject when trying to turn on the fan, and meshes with bite holes from not so tiny, furry beings… So of course, we got people in to fix them!

The carpenter came round and meshed our drying room - which he is yet to finish, and ‘fixed’ the doors, so they don’t scratch the floors anymore. I say ‘fixed’ because our definition and the carpenters I think, are apparently quite different. Not to be unkind about his ‘skills’, but he managed to fix my door and break it at the same time. True, it no longer scrapes the floor, but somehow, he has managed to unhinge it in such a way that it no longer closes, or worse locks! Not really my definition of fixed!

But anyway, that’s not the story today!

So the electricians came round to fix the sockets and light fixtures. There were FOUR of them! ‘The joke, how many electricians do you need to fix a socket?’ came to mind.’ They got right to work and Freya and I, carried on with ours.

Bear in mind that 2 days earlier, when the electricians had come to have a assess the electrical socket, one of the men had asked me to be his friend…

As I sat in my room doing my work, the electricians stood on my table, fixing the wires that connected my room with the next. Throughout this process, I happily typed away, listening to my i-pod on speakers. One of the electricians even (surprisingly!) sang along to Kate Bush’s Wuthering Heights! About half an hour later they were done, and were packing up. I walked into the living room, and was stooped by the table, when the same guy from 2 days earlier came in and said to me, ‘I left you a note on your slipper!’ I said ‘okay,’ awkwardly, and continued with my task.

After they had left, Freya and I entered my room to find, beside my bed a note – as promised – written directly ON my slipper, with my pen! It said:

‘U are 2 nice. I really need you 4 friend. This is my line… (which cannot be disclosed for obvious reasons)

Needless to say, I was speechless! It was actually a really nice, grand romantic gesture, akin to an alternate rendition of Cinderella, or perhaps that scene in the movie Wicker Park where Josh Hartnett is utterly besotted and writes a note on Diane Kruger’s shoe box! And, had there been mutual affection, it would have been quite sweet. But having seen him only once and definitely not with the mind to fall in love with him, this was rather funny.

But it was a sweet gesture, and as Samson, our other housemate said, it means he saw something good in me. And that, I can neither laugh at or mock, so this will go down as another one of my strange, but characteristic experiences in Sierra Leone that we’ll all reminisce over for years to come!!

Bankexx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you feel...